Top 5 Tips for Choosing Your Stairs and Railings this Summer
The summer is an ideal time to tackle any home renovation project, such as an addition or a new deck. If your summer project includes a set of stairs, you may be surprised at how many considerations are involved in choosing a set of stairs and railings for your home. Here are our top 5 tips to help you choose your stairs and railings this summer what will complement your home and lifestyle perfectly.
1. Location and configuration. If you are working with space constraints, you may not have any decisions to make here. In many projects, there is only one place to fit a staircase, or there is one location and configuration that is obviously superior to any others.
If that is not the case with your project, then try to picture yourself using the stairs in different locations. For an indoor staircase, remember to consider furniture placement as well. Will that staircase still be conveniently placed once the rooms are no longer empty?
2. Function. Your lifestyle will greatly impact how a particular stair and railing will function for you in your home. A glass railing may match your décor and provide a great view, but if you have small children or pets, you might find yourself cleaning fingerprints and nose-prints off the glass quite often. Is it worth it?
3. Safety. This consideration should be paramount. Make sure that the stairs and railings you choose meet the building code for your area to ensure the safety of your family. If you have family members with special needs, take their needs into consideration. If you will be installing a stair lift, consider making the staircase wider than normal so that those walking up and down the stairs still have plenty of space.
4. Overall design goals. There are many ways in which a staircase can complement or conflict with your overall design goals for a project. Stairs and railings may be one of the most prominent architectural features in a space and as such, special consideration must be given to be sure that they contribute to a harmonious design.
5. Do you want your railings to make a statement or not? Railings can range from totally over-the-top one-of-a-king works of art to completely understated. Either option might be right for you or you might prefer something in between. Knowing the extent to which you want your railings to stand out will help you to find the right railings for your home.